Blue Revolution, the Neel Kranti Mission has the vision "to achieve economic prosperity of the country and the fishers and fish farmers as well as contribute towards food and nutritional security through full potential utilization of water resources for fisheries development in a sustainable manner, keeping in view the bio-security and environmental concerns". It will focus on tapping the full production potential and enhance productivity substantially from aquaculture and fisheries resources, both inland and marine. Substantially increasing the share of Indian fisheries in the export area would be a key goal. It will ensure doubling the income of the fishers and fish farmers with inclusive participation of the socio-economically weaker sections and ensure sustainability with environment and bio security.
The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying & Fisheries has restructured the scheme by merging all the ongoing schemes under an umbrella of Blue Revolution. The restructured scheme provides focused development and management of fisheries, covering inland fisheries, aquaculture, marine fisheries including deep sea fishing, mariculture and all activities undertaken by the National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB).
The restructured Plan Scheme on Blue Revolution - Integrated Development and Management of Fisheries has been approved at a total central outlay of Rs 3000 crore for implementation during a period of five years (2015-16 to 2019-20).
Objectives of Blue Revolution Scheme:
1. To fully tap the total fish potential of the country both in the inland and the marine sector and triple the production by 2020.
2. To transform the fisheries sector as a modern industry with special focus on new technologies and processes
3. To double the income of the fishers and fish farmers with special focus on increasing productivity and better marketing post harvest infrastructure including e-commerce and other technologies and global best innovations
4. To ensure inclusive participation of the fishers and fish farmers in the income enhancement
5. To triple the export earnings by 2020 with focus on benefits flow to the fishers and fish farmers including through institutional mechanisms in the cooperative, producer companies and other structures
6. To enhance food and nutritional security of the countryKey components of the Scheme:
1. National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) and its activities
2. Development of Inland Fisheries and Aquaculture
3. Development of Marine Fisheries, Infrastructure and Post-Harvest Operations
4. Strengthening of Database & Geographical Information System of the Fisheries Sector
5. Institutional Arrangement for Fisheries Sector
6. Monitoring, Control and Surveillance (MCS) and other need-based Interventions
7. National Scheme of Welfare of Fishermen
Designed, Developed by NIC, Hyderabad. Maintained by Department of Fisheries, Government of Telangana
All Rights Reserved by Department of Fisheries. Telangana State